From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to work with etc-updates.
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:27:24
1 On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:06:29 -0400, Eric Crossman wrote:
2
3 > While I agree that etc-update is a vast improvement over other package
4 > systems, it would be nice to have a CVS type merge where I only have to
5 > make choices when the "system can't figure it out". It seems like
6 > etc-update (and friends) should be able to take advantage of mtime
7 > metadata and md5 checksums to determine if I've made any modifications
8 > to the default config file. That way an unmodified default config from
9 > version N can just safely be replaced with the new default for version N
10 > +1. Does this functionality already exist with the current etc-update?
11
12 It exists as an option with dispatch-conf, as do options to automatically
13 replace files if the only differences are whitespace and comments.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes. - Henry David Thoreau
20 (1817-1862)