From: Sean Higgins <sean@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to work with etc-updates.
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:39:04
1 On Tuesday 30 August 2005 01:22 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:06:29 -0400, Eric Crossman wrote:
3 > > While I agree that etc-update is a vast improvement over other package
4 > > systems, it would be nice to have a CVS type merge where I only have to
5 > > make choices when the "system can't figure it out". It seems like
6 > > etc-update (and friends) should be able to take advantage of mtime
7 > > metadata and md5 checksums to determine if I've made any modifications
8 > > to the default config file. That way an unmodified default config from
9 > > version N can just safely be replaced with the new default for version N
10 > > +1. Does this functionality already exist with the current etc-update?
11 >
12 > It exists as an option with dispatch-conf, as do options to automatically
13 > replace files if the only differences are whitespace and comments.
14
15 But, it does not automatically do an update if the original file has not
16 changed. That would be a cool feature. How often are files changed, for
17 example in /etc/init.d, but you have not changed that file? I would love the
18 option to automatically update any configuration file that I did not change
19 from the original install.
20
21 Right on Eric!
22