From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A Gentoo Firewall howto?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:42:54
1 Hello,
2
3 I've decided to take the plunge and build my first, full featured
4 firewall on Gentoo. At first I was going to use 'gnap' but further
5 reading reveals that this sort of derived firewall is stateless,
6 and I want a statefull firewall. It's also masked.
7 (feel free to correct me if I miss something).
8
9 The firewall will have (3) nics, Outside(static IP)
10 DMZ for several web servers, mail server and DNS secondaries
11 and a private for a DNS server, PCs(doz) and assorted Linux systems.
12 So after googling for a while, I could not find any detailed documentation
13 on building a gentoo based robust firewall (I sure thought I'd ran across
14 such a page/document, but, nothing today).
15
16 I did find some packages to 'ease the pain' on configuring iptables
17 and completing the firewall: Recommendations here?
18 fwbuilder
19 bastille
20 kmyfirewall
21 firestarter
22
23 I did find this gentoo document:
24 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml
25 This example is for a 2 nic basic firewall.
26 I need a dmz that will have web servers, dns servers, and
27 will ensure security.
28
29 I did find one Debian-centric security document:
30 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto
31
32 Alternatively, since this machine is only going to be a firewall
33 & ethernet router so rather than securing a complete Gentoo system
34 I could just use a 'firewall cd' installation, if one exists
35 as a Gentoo derivative.
36
37 Any other ideas or recommendations on documents or firewall install
38 config on gentoo or a gentoo derivative are most welcome?
39
40 Note: my firewall experience is mostly with openbsd.
43 James
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list