From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost KDE
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 00:14:48
1 070704 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > I have been using KDE for a long long time.
3 > Suddenly it's not there any more.
4 > anything else just sends me back to (what I think is) kdm.
5 > The first time I went to log in after rebooting, a dialog box told me
6 > that my KDE 3.5 startup was old or invalid and would be removed.
7 > Indeed, kdm is NOT presenting me with an option to start a KDE session.
8 > My only choices seem to be fluxbox and failsafe.
9 > My setup does not seem to correspond to the guidance on setting up KDE
10 > that I found in the Gentoo docs.
11
12 You may have reasons for doing it this way, but I keep it much simpler.
13 I boot to a raw login prompt, login there, then enter 'startx'.
14 I have a file ~/.xinitrc ('dbus-launch' is to enable Epiphany) :
15
16 xscreensaver &
17 dbus-launch startkde
18
19 If I want (rarely) to start Fluxbox, I have another file ~/.xinitrc-fb :
20
21 xscreensaver &
22 fluxbox
23
24 which I copy 'cp .xinitrc-fb .xinitrc' (keeping a copy of the KDE version).
25 I don't use Kdm at all, thus avoiding the kind of problem you've run into
26 & which I too ran into a few years ago.
27
28 I recommend unmerging all your existing KDE material,
29 then remerging the latest 3.5.7 (which I've been using since 070610)
30 using whatever individual packages you need. Then keep it upto-date.
34 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
35 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
36 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list