From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost KDE
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:34:05
1 On 7/3/07, Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 >
3 > 070703 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > I have been using KDE for a long long time.
5 > > Suddenly it's not there any more.
6 > > anything else just sends me back to (what I think is) kdm.
7 > > 1183499736: ::: completed emerge (4 of 12) kde-base/kdebase-pam-7 to /
10 > That looks the most likely suspect. It's very recent (see bug 183887).
11 > I have version 6 : try restoring that & see what happens
12 > ('emerge =kde-base/kdebase-pam-6').
13 > You should also look in /etc/pam.d/ for further clues.
16 That did not help, but it reminded me of another fact I forgot to mention:
17 The first time I went to log in after rebooting, a dialog box told me that
18 my KDE 3.5 startup was old or invalid or something, and would be removed.
19 Indeed, kdm is NOT presenting me with an option to start a KDE session.
20 I'm not sure how to enable it.
21
22 What is still there:
23 /etc/rc.conf still contains the line "XSESSION=kde-3.5"
24 /etc/X11/Sessions no longer contained kde-3.5, but I made another based on
25 the leftover kde-3.4; I'm not sure this did anything, as the symptoms did
26 not change.
27 ps -axlww shows that I'm running kde 3.5 version of kdm
28
29 But I can't coax it into starting a KDE session. My only choices seem to be
30 fluxbox and failsafe.
31
32 My setup does not seem to correspond to the guidance on setting up KDE that
33 I found in the Gentoo docs. But it used to work, and I'm not sure it's safe
34 to try to modify it to agree -- I'm afraid I won't know what to undo of the
35 old way.
36 --
37 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD