From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Me, and how to troll LIKE A BOSS.
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 15:49:19
1 On 2016-06-25, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > So you want to be able to use your regular compilers. Of course the
4 > compilers were written assuming that they will never run on or target
5 > any operating system that doesn't work Just Like Unix.
6
7 I know I shouldn't respond, but I just can't help it...
8
9 This is, of course, complete bollocks.
10
11 Many people (myself included) use GCC every day for targets that don't
12 run Unix (or anything like it). I use GCC for a number of RTOSes
13 (none of which work at all like Unix). I also use GCC for projects
14 with no OS at all. Some of them have only few hundred bytes of RAM and
15 maybe a dozen KB of ROM. Trust me, those systems don't work "Just
16 Like Unix".
17
18 I use Linux as my development host (my preference), but I suspect I'm
19 in a minority. I would guess that most people using GCC for either
20 "bare metal" or RTOS development use Windows as the host environment.
21 There are also plenty of people who use GCC on MS Windows hosts
22 targeting MS Windows. Again, you can trust me that Windows does not
23 work "Just Like Unix".
24
25 Alan's world-view seems to be that anything Alan has never done is
26 both stupid and impossible.
27
28 If it turns out somebody else _has_ done it, then it's just stupid.
31 Grant