From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New USE flags???
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 02:41:13
1 On Tue, 9 May 2006 20:06:53 -0600
2 "Justin Findlay" <jfindlay@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Not even the most dogged user is going to read through every flag and
5 > decide if he wants it set or not.
6
7 I do and set specific sets of flags for each machine I run. It does take
8 about 30 min. and I do have to check for changes - USE flags going away,
9 new ones, every six months or so, but a review is always a good thing.
10
11 > So, for example, Joe Hacker, who has a laptop and a server can
12 > explicitly unset all multimedia and office/desktop flags in ufed for
13 > his server while explicitly enabling just the server flags he needs
14 > while on his laptop he can enable all development flags and pick the
15 > desktop flags he wants in a matter of seconds rather than minutes
16 > because the desktop flags are all in the same catergory.
17 >
18 > You could also allow users even greater specificity over their flags
19 > with ufed by giving them the option to set flags on a per package
20 > basis, although this may be more effort than it's worth.
23 You might want to peruse this GLEP -
24
25 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0029.html
26
27 It was withdrawn, but perhaps that was because other tasks
28 took a higher priority and this needed to wait for them to complete.
29
30 Bob
31 -
32 --