From: Justin Findlay <jfindlay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New USE flags???
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 02:17:06
1 On 5/8/06, JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > How would you recommend changing USE flags or making them better? You
4 > should post suggestions to the devs. I think they need some fixing as
5 > well. However, I haven't really thought much about it and so have no
6 > real useful suggestions, yet.
7
8 OK, let's think about this for a second. I'm just shooting from the
9 hip here. It may very well be that I don't have any substantial
10 improvements for USE flags.
11
12 I don't like how hard it is to set or unset USE flags by hand with one
13 very long string defined in /etc/make.conf. Ufed is a little better
14 but there is still a very long list of system wide flags and even
15 longer list of local flags. This may not be a bad thing but I would
16 think it makes the gentoo devs wary of introducing Yet Another USE
17 Flag, which in the end I think would hurt the flexibility of Gentoo.
18 Not even the most dogged user is going to read through every flag and
19 decide if he wants it set or not. I suppose that's not a very big
20 deal, but I think it would be easier and faster to set/unset use flags
21 if they were catergorized.
22
23 So, for example, Joe Hacker, who has a laptop and a server can
24 explicitly unset all multimedia and office/desktop flags in ufed for
25 his server while explicitly enabling just the server flags he needs
26 while on his laptop he can enable all development flags and pick the
27 desktop flags he wants in a matter of seconds rather than minutes
28 because the desktop flags are all in the same catergory.
29
30 You could also allow users even greater specificity over their flags
31 with ufed by giving them the option to set flags on a per package
32 basis, although this may be more effort than it's worth.
33
34 +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
35 |[ ] CatergoryI Select CatergoryI to enable all use |
36 | flags in CatergoryI. |
37 | [X] flag1 (+ ) This is flag1 |
38 | [X] packageA Sometimes you may want to explicitly |
39 | [X] packageB disable a USE flag for a specific |
40 | [ ] packageC package. |
41 | [X] packageD |
42 | |
43 | [ ] flag2 ( ) flag2 enables stuff that wants flag2 |
44 | [X] flag3 (- +) You really don't need flag3 |
46 |(Hit <space> to see all packages that use a particular USE flag.) |
50 Justin
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list