From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 or kernel config - unable to properly boot [NOT SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:59:34
1 2013/8/29 Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
2
3 > In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> search for CONSOLE in this file and find:
6 > >>
7 > >> # exec >${CONSOLE} <${CONSOLE} 2>&1
8 > >>
9 > >> Just remove the hash at the start of the line, rebuild my initramfs
10 > >> and it is ready to go.
11 > >>
12 > >> --
13 > >> Regards,
14 > >> Gregory.
15 > >>
16 > >>
17 > >
18 > > Thanks Gregory.
19 > >
20 > > I really would like to find that partition number limitation on genkernel
21 > > in the docs.
22 >
23 > I've never had that problem but then I've always made /boot my first
24 > partition.
25 >
26 > > I have already had that splash screen problem, very interesting your
27 > > solution. That's a big reason I love Gentoo, always learning something
28 > new.
29 > > Funny thing is that checking the file you've mentioned in this new
30 > system,
31 > > it has no hash at that line (line number 13, right?). On the other
32 > working
33 > > system, the same, no hash.
34 >
35 > No, the line is 149.
36 >
37 > You see, I've got this as part of my kernel command line:
38 >
39 > console=tty1
40 >
41 > The code section from the linuxrc file is part of the kernel command
42 > line check as part of a bash(sh) "do" loop:
43 >
44 > CONSOLE=*|console=*)
45 > CONSOLE=${x#*=}
46 > CONSOLE=$(basename ${CONSOLE})
47 > # exec >${CONSOLE} <${CONSOLE} 2>&1
48 >
49 > If you change your "console=" value on the command line then the new
50 > console choice is redirected. If the hash is in place then the
51 > console is not redirected and usually you get console output writing all
52 > over your splash screen.
55 > > I'm using genkernel-3.4.45.1 on both systems, perhaps not the same as
56 > you.
57 > >
58 > > Regarding that last issue, the message complaining that the root
59 > partition
60 > > is not a valid block device _is still there_, only masked by the splash
61 > > (which now is "verbose").
62 > >
63 > > I was optimistic in believing everything would work as expected once I
64 > > found that detail.
65 >
66 > I'm not sure I can help you here. My root filesystem is on an LVM volume
67 > (as are all the rest of my filesystems except for my /boot partition.
68 >
69 > --
70 > Regards,
71 > Gregory.