From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vbox vm no boot
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 07:43:35
1 On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 08:20:22 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > On Dec 5, 2011 8:13 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 07:34:46 +0700
8 > > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > On Dec 5, 2011 7:19 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
11 > > > >
12 > > > > Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
13 > > > >
14 > > > > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > [...]
17 > > > > >
18 > > > > >> A Gentoo VM on a Linux host works fine here with the same
19 > > > > >> setup. Let's examine the host settings first as that affects
20 > > > > >> booting too.
21 > > > > >>
22 > > > > >> What settings do you have on the System and Storage tabs on
23 > > > > >> the VBox host for that vm?
24 > > > > >
25 > > > > > I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:
26 > > > > >
27 > > > > > www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi
28 > > > > >
29 > > > > > I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3
30 > > > > > and on Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. At first there
31 > > > > > were no other choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was
32 > > > > > ok like that... now I see the dropdown on Storage has gotten
33 > > > > > populated since I last tried it.
34 > > > > >
35 > > > > > I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the
36 > > > > > same failure.
37 > > > > >
38 > > > > > Maybe those are not related to the problem?
39 > > > >
40 > > > > Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with
41 > > > > gparted worked... Now bootup starts. But the same old sorry bs
42 > > > > I have always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now
43 > > > > present and accounted for...
44 > > > >
45 > > > > www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi
46 > > > >
47 > > >
48 > > > Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)
49 > >
50 > > I'm not convinced. The error is:
51 > >
52 > > FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted
55 > Have you seen his last screen cap? The latest error message is now:
56 >
57 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root.
58 >
59 > The preceding lines don't indicate the kernel recognizing any hard
60 > disks, so I guessed the right driver has not been loaded.
63 Yes, I see the latest screenshot now. Must have missed that one.
64
65 Harry, that error almost always indicates you do not have the drivers
66 for PIIX compiled into the kernel. I assume you are not using an
67 initramfs so that driver must be compiled in, not a module.
68
69 In make menuconfig, it's found at Device Drivers -> Serial ATA and
70 Parallel ATA drivers
71
72 Similar for the file system driver (presumably ext2|3|4) for the
73 partition hosting /boot, that too must be compiled in (not a module)
77 Alan McKinnnon
78 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com