From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:44:37
1 On 07/01/2015 15:19, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 07.01.2015 um 14:06 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 >
4 >> The tricky one is going to be that persistent interface names from udev
5 >> 18 months or so back. When you get to that, you'll probably want to
6 >> re-read the huge threads from that time, as you only get one chance to
7 >> get it right.
8 >
9 > One addition:
10 >
11 > at the reboot time a fellow IT-guy will be there in front of the console
12 > so if the NIC doesn't come up correctly I will be able to instruct him
13 > to get the box up and reachable for me.
14 >
15 > I also use to disable persistent names for such updates ... and get
16 > good old eth0 UP instead of enpXsY unconfigured ;-)
19 >> I see in your reply to Neil you have glibc conflicts. I don't know what
20 >> will happen if you do it with --nodeps, but I wouldn't try that. The box
21 >> is remote, if something goes wrong... Rather go with Tomas' suggestion
22 >> of yearly portage snapshots and update in stages.
23 >
24 > skip that ... I leave glibc for now and focus on udev and openrc, see below.
25 >
26 >> openrc should be seamless. I forget the exact timelines, but IIRC you
27 >> will also hit baselayout-2 migration. That one was very smooth and well
28 >> documented so you shouldn't have much trouble.
29 >
30 > openrc needs an updated udev and I am currently working on getting at
31 > least sys-fs/udev-208-r1 installed now (conflicts with lvm2 and stuff ...)
32 >
33 > Some circular dep between udev and udev-init-scripts blocks things ... I
34 > fiddled with this and now decided to gor for a "--nodeps" ... while I
35 > type this udev, lvm2 and udev-init-scripts get emerged OK now.
36 >
37 > Phew.
38 >
39 > openrc installs now as well ... so now for "dispatch-conf" and
40 > "disabling the persistent nic names"
41 >
42 > Seems as if the biggest problems are solved right now?
45 if you ran "emerge -avuND world" and portage goes ahead and does it
46 without blockers, then I'd agree - the major problems are solved.
47
48 It's a simple samba server, so not too many packages. I'd recommend you
49 do "emerge -e world" when done just to ensure that everything is
50 consistently built against the same toolchain and glibc. It's not
51 absolutely required, but it does give peace of mind and you can let it
52 run and do it's thing while you get on with something else
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com