From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:19:37
1 Am 07.01.2015 um 14:06 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2
3 > The tricky one is going to be that persistent interface names from udev
4 > 18 months or so back. When you get to that, you'll probably want to
5 > re-read the huge threads from that time, as you only get one chance to
6 > get it right.
7
8 One addition:
9
10 at the reboot time a fellow IT-guy will be there in front of the console
11 so if the NIC doesn't come up correctly I will be able to instruct him
12 to get the box up and reachable for me.
13
14 I also use to disable persistent names for such updates ... and get
15 good old eth0 UP instead of enpXsY unconfigured ;-)
18 > I see in your reply to Neil you have glibc conflicts. I don't know what
19 > will happen if you do it with --nodeps, but I wouldn't try that. The box
20 > is remote, if something goes wrong... Rather go with Tomas' suggestion
21 > of yearly portage snapshots and update in stages.
22
23 skip that ... I leave glibc for now and focus on udev and openrc, see below.
24
25 > openrc should be seamless. I forget the exact timelines, but IIRC you
26 > will also hit baselayout-2 migration. That one was very smooth and well
27 > documented so you shouldn't have much trouble.
28
29 openrc needs an updated udev and I am currently working on getting at
30 least sys-fs/udev-208-r1 installed now (conflicts with lvm2 and stuff ...)
31
32 Some circular dep between udev and udev-init-scripts blocks things ... I
33 fiddled with this and now decided to gor for a "--nodeps" ... while I
34 type this udev, lvm2 and udev-init-scripts get emerged OK now.
35
36 Phew.
37
38 openrc installs now as well ... so now for "dispatch-conf" and
39 "disabling the persistent nic names"
40
41 Seems as if the biggest problems are solved right now?
42
43 S