From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:06:15
1 On 07/01/2015 14:56, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 07.01.2015 um 13:47 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 >> On 07/01/2015 13:52, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I am in the process of upgrading an old (~2010) gentoo server.
6 >>> The customer never wanted updates ... and now he wants ... *sigh*
10 >> Don't waste your time (you are already experiencing the full reason why).
11 >>
12 >> Backup data and configs, reinstall Gentoo, restore data and configs.
13 >>
14 >> Downtime? Of course. A few hours. Customer needs to understand he
15 >> brought this upon himself.
18 >> Trying to do it in-place will likely takes *days* and fill you with pain
19 >> and mucho downtime. This list, the forum, and planet are full of horror
20 >> stories of what it takes to do it and the issues you will run into.
21 >> Frankly, you do not need to prove you can do it (we know you can), and
22 >> you have much better things to do with your time (like proper billable
23 >> hours).
24 >>
25 >> It's worth repeating: the customer caused this, he must now feel the
26 >> pain and not you.
27 >
28 > I should print this and learn this at last, right!
29
30 :-)
34 > Thanks for the clear opinion .... at least I will be able to bill the
35 > hours and I am quite sure that I am not that far from success .... it's
36 > a rather simple samba-server ... right now I spent about 3 hrs of time
37 > over the last week or so.
38 >
39 > What's left? migration to openrc, new udev ... kernel is prepared ...
40 > then the test of rebooting on their closed day (they don't work on
41 > tuesdays).
42
43 The tricky one is going to be that persistent interface names from udev
44 18 months or so back. When you get to that, you'll probably want to
45 re-read the huge threads from that time, as you only get one chance to
46 get it right.
47
48 I see in your reply to Neil you have glibc conflicts. I don't know what
49 will happen if you do it with --nodeps, but I wouldn't try that. The box
50 is remote, if something goes wrong... Rather go with Tomas' suggestion
51 of yearly portage snapshots and update in stages.
52
53 openrc should be seamless. I forget the exact timelines, but IIRC you
54 will also hit baselayout-2 migration. That one was very smooth and well
55 documented so you shouldn't have much trouble.
56
57 Any python issues? I don't recall any show-stoppers with it, but you
58 never know.
61 Alan McKinnon
62 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com