From: David Helstroom <david.helstroom@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help with nvidia fake raid.
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:43:44
1 Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I have been trying for 5 days now to install a gentoo system on a
5 > nvidia mother board with fake raid, I already have a windows system on
6 > the machine that needs the raid and I want to install gentoo on it.
7 >
8 > I have followed instructions on
9 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_with_NVRAID_using_dmraid
10 > I was succeeded on installing gentoo base system and grub :-), but,
11 > when I boot the systems ask for real_root /dev/mapper/nv_xxxx device
12 >
13 > I had try the hard way, open a shell when it ask for real_root and on
14 > /dev/mapper is just control.
15 >
16 > I had try with genkernel and on the same situation on /dev/mapper/ has
17 > control and my disk, but none of the partitions.
18 >
19 > I am so close of making this work, but is really frustrating get stuck
20 > in something like that for so long.
21 >
22 > Thanks for attention, Allan
23 >
24 Hi Allan,
25
26 I believe I had pretty much the same problem as you, finding that the
27 initial install went fine, but trying to boot with the new kernel (after
28 using genkernel with the dmraid option) failed.
29
30 I found the issue lay with Linux kernel 2.6.16 - I read a post somewhere
31 (which I have since lost track of) that hinted a bug/feature of 2.6.16
32 meant some partitioning schemes would fail to be detected correctly
33 under NVRaid. The solution for me (so far) has been to run 2.6.15, at
34 least until 2.6.17 goes Gentoo-stable. In other words, I have masked 2.6.16.
35
36 Hope that helps,
39 Dave.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature