From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} RAM & apache MaxClients (rock & a hard place)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 21:49:59
1 On 03/07/2013 04:44 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >>> Thanks Michael, I think I will set up nginx to serve my images. That
3 >>> should take a big load off apache. Is nginx still beneficial when
4 >>> using the Worker MPM?
5 >>
6 >> It...depends?
7 >>
8 >> nginx in reverse caching proxy mode will simply serve up objects before
9 >> the httpd it's protecting has to deal with them. Whether the type of an
10 >> MPM makes a significant difference on nginx's value depends more on what
11 >> kind of work you are (or aren't) asking Apache to do. I really couldn't
12 >> answer that for you without knowing the details behind what you're
13 >> running on top of Apache.
14 >
15 > OK, I think either nginx or Worker would help prevent MaxClients from
16 > being reached and using both of them would help even further.
17
18 If you're using mod_php, you cannot use MPM Worker. Just sayin. It's so
19 unsupported, they block each other in Portage.
22 >>> Should I be OK with NGINX_MODULES_HTTP="" in /etc/make.conf if I'm
23 >>> only serving images?
24 >
25 > Any Gentoo'ers running nginx like this?
26
27 Alan McKinnon remarked that he uses nginx in this capacity.