From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:32:39
1 > [..]
2 >> I think if you have 4GB of RAM you shouldn't need any swap under
3 >> normal circumstances. I have a gentoo box with just 256MB of RAM
4 >> that's running web server (apache + php), mail server (postfix +
5 >> dovecot), and database (mariadb), and it works fine if i disable swap.
6 >> I do normally have swap enabled on it, though, because emerging
7 >> sometimes uses a lot of RAM.
10 > Indeed, I have a server with 256MB of memory and it couldn't emerge
11 > gcc when I had swap disabled.
12
13 I can't compile openoffice with -j1 on 3GB RAM and no swap.
14
15 - Grant