From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 20:48:11
1 On Thursday 21 July 2011 10:30:21 Grant did opine thusly:
2 > > [..]
3 > >
4 > >> I think if you have 4GB of RAM you shouldn't need any swap
5 > >> under
6 > >> normal circumstances. I have a gentoo box with just 256MB of
7 > >> RAM
8 > >> that's running web server (apache + php), mail server (postfix
9 > >> +
10 > >> dovecot), and database (mariadb), and it works fine if i
11 > >> disable swap. I do normally have swap enabled on it, though,
12 > >> because emerging sometimes uses a lot of RAM.
13 > >
14 > > Indeed, I have a server with 256MB of memory and it couldn't
15 > > emerge gcc when I had swap disabled.
16 >
17 > I can't compile openoffice with -j1 on 3GB RAM and no swap.
20 Sounds like a case for a swap partition that can be activated when you
21 need it for big emerges. I hit the same thing with firefox-5 oddly
22 enough.
23
24 As for OOo, long ago I figured the pain wasn't worth the gain so now I
25 use the -bin packages.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com