From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 23:29:31
1 >> > [..]
2 >> >
3 >> >> I think if you have 4GB of RAM you shouldn't need any swap
4 >> >> under
5 >> >> normal circumstances. I have a gentoo box with just 256MB of
6 >> >> RAM
7 >> >> that's running web server (apache + php), mail server (postfix
8 >> >> +
9 >> >> dovecot), and database (mariadb), and it works fine if i
10 >> >> disable swap. I do normally have swap enabled on it, though,
11 >> >> because emerging sometimes uses a lot of RAM.
12 >> >
13 >> > Indeed, I have a server with 256MB of memory and it couldn't
14 >> > emerge gcc when I had swap disabled.
15 >>
16 >> I can't compile openoffice with -j1 on 3GB RAM and no swap.
19 > Sounds like a case for a swap partition that can be activated when you
20 > need it for big emerges. I hit the same thing with firefox-5 oddly
21 > enough.
22
23 Swap file just as good?
24