From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lexmark X5650 working in Gentoo Linux?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 08:16:46
1 On Saturday 09 Jul 2011 07:52:26 Dale wrote:
2
3 > Most of the time, all you need is a ppd file for printing. I don't know
4 > about the scanner and rest tho.
5 >
6 > I have read that Lexmark is not Linux friendly. I tend to like their
7 > printers as they do a good job. It's just that they don't support Linux
8 > and Linux is all I use here.
9 >
10 > I think there is a tool for using rpm's in Gentoo. It's called
11 > app-arch/rpm2targz and it may be worth checking into. It is already
12 > installed on mine so it most likely is on yours too. I have never used
13 > it so I can't say it will help or how it works. For printing, the ppd
14 > file is like a gold mine. Just not sure about the rest.
17 If the rpm package is a source rpm file then you should be able to
18 compile/make/build/install it for your Gentoo. However, if it contains just
19 binaries things may not be as straight forward. These will only work on a
20 redhat based system, with the libraries installed in redhat.
21
22 I suspect that this rpm package contains all sort of extraneous stuff (like a
23 lexmark GUI printer manager, wireless configuration and what not) which you
24 may not need if all you want is to just print.
25
26 As Dale says you should at least be able to find the ppd file with all the
27 printer settings and then use this with CUPS to hopefully be able to print.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick