From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lexmark X5650 working in Gentoo Linux?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 07:08:12
1 Carlos Sura wrote:
2 >
3 > Thank you for your answers,
4 >
5 > As you recommended, I visited www.openprintin.org/printers
6 > <http://www.openprintin.org/printers> there is my printer: Lexmark
7 > X5650 (fax, copier, scanner and printer)
8 >
9 > Also, lexmark support website, claim there is a driver for Debian
10 > users and RPM (32 bits only)
11 >
12 > You can check it here:
13 > http://support.lexmark.com/index?segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN_US&locale=en&productCode=LEXMARK_X5650&page=product&frompage=null
14 > <http://support.lexmark.com/index?segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN_US&locale=en&productCode=LEXMARK_X5650&page=product&frompage=null>
15 >
16 > As you can see there is a 32 bits driver, I'm on a gentoo box using:
17 > ~AMD64
18 >
19 > So, I downloaded Debian 32 bits driver (.sh) and I tried to Run, by a
20 > minute I thought it was fine, but when it's about to finish, it shows
21 > me an error, so this mean there is something wrong, I can't use this
22 > driver, besides, rpm, does not work to, it just run splash screen.
23 >
24 > Is there anyway to convert RPM or (.sh) to .TAR.GZ with depencys of
25 > course.
26 >
27 > *This printer does not have wireless
30 > P.S. If this printer works in Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse, why will not
31 > work in Gentoo (best distribution for me)
32 >
33 > Regards,
34 >
35 > --
36 > Carlos Sura.-
39 I don't know why it works in other distros. Usually cups either
40 supports something or it doesn't but some do have limited support.
41 Since cups is what is usually used for printing, I have no idea what
42 Debian is doing.
43
44 Most of the time, all you need is a ppd file for printing. I don't know
45 about the scanner and rest tho.
46
47 I have read that Lexmark is not Linux friendly. I tend to like their
48 printers as they do a good job. It's just that they don't support Linux
49 and Linux is all I use here.
50
51 I think there is a tool for using rpm's in Gentoo. It's called
52 app-arch/rpm2targz and it may be worth checking into. It is already
53 installed on mine so it most likely is on yours too. I have never used
54 it so I can't say it will help or how it works. For printing, the ppd
55 file is like a gold mine. Just not sure about the rest.
56
57 Hope that helps.
58
59 Dale