From: Carlos Sura <carlos.sura1@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lexmark X5650 working in Gentoo Linux?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 06:26:49
1 On 7 July 2011 22:51, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Carlos Sura wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello,
6 >>
7 >> I've been looking how to get working this printer in my gentoo-b0x,
8 >> searched in gentoo wiki, but those ebuilds and links are not updated, they
9 >> are a little bit old and none of that worked for me.
10 >>
11 >> I was thinking if there was any chance if anyone of you have this printer
12 >> installed to tell me how to get it work for me... Or a howto, tutorial,
13 >> manual?
14 >>
15 >> Regards,
16 >>
17 >> --
18 >> Carlos Sura.-
22 > From what I have read in the past, very few Lexmark printers work in Linux.
23 > The last time I checked, the ones that did claim to work had a lot of
24 > things missing. I like some things about Lexmark but as a Linux only user,
25 > I had to pick something else for my printer. I would check here before
26 > buying to see what is supported:
27 >
28 > http://www.openprinting.org/**printers<http://www.openprinting.org/printers>
29 >
30 > Dale
31 >
32 > :-) :-)
35 Thank you for your answers,
36
37 As you recommended, I visited www.openprintin.org/printers there is my
38 printer: Lexmark X5650 (fax, copier, scanner and printer)
39
40 Also, lexmark support website, claim there is a driver for Debian users and
41 RPM (32 bits only)
42
43 You can check it here:
44 http://support.lexmark.com/index?segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN_US&locale=en&productCode=LEXMARK_X5650&page=product&frompage=null
45
46 As you can see there is a 32 bits driver, I'm on a gentoo box using: ~AMD64
47
48 So, I downloaded Debian 32 bits driver (.sh) and I tried to Run, by a minute
49 I thought it was fine, but when it's about to finish, it shows me an error,
50 so this mean there is something wrong, I can't use this driver, besides,
51 rpm, does not work to, it just run splash screen.
52
53 Is there anyway to convert RPM or (.sh) to .TAR.GZ with depencys of course.
54
55 *This printer does not have wireless
58 P.S. If this printer works in Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse, why will not work in
59 Gentoo (best distribution for me)
60
61 Regards,
64 Carlos Sura.-