From: Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Steam downloading extremely
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 05:51:08
1 Thanks for your fast reply, and sorry for my late response.
2
3 The original is described as: Steam starts with a fast download speed,
4 and eventually goes down, even to 0 (which is probably caused by a bug
5 in Steam Linux client).
6
7 From this link:
8 http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/2/616189106498372437/
9 Just installing dnsmasq *does* solve the problem. And it did on my side.
10
11 Also this link https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam/Client_troubleshooting
12 mentioned the same method. (See section "Slow download speeds").
13
14 However, my current problem is that when downloading Civilization V the
15 problem comes back (unstable speed, sometimes down to 0 KB/s), while
16 downloading CS:GO is acceptable high speed 4MB/s.
17 (Yes, ISP here is rather slow...My bandwidth is only 30 or 50 Mbit I
18 don't remember.)
19
20 dnsmasq is up, and downloading from other sources (browser, emerge etc)
21 is definitely fast.
22
23 I suspect it is a problem of Steam client...
26 Danny