From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:50:29
1 Keith Dart wrote:
2 > === On Fri, 07/02, Graham Murray wrote: ===
3 >
4 >> After an emerge --sync on an ~x86 system, the upgrade to opera-10.60
5 >> wants to install libpng-1.2.44 in a new slot. Considering all of the
6 >> problems surrounding the upgrade to libpng-1.4.3, is it safe to let
7 >> portage install libpng-1.2.44?
8 >>
9 > ===
10 >
11 > Yes, but be prepared for some extra work and a lengthy upgrade (half
12 > your system will be recompiled). However, I have not tried Opera, but
13 > it should work.
14 >
15 > See flameeye's blog first. But ignore the part about
16 > the libpng-1.4.x-update.sh script being a hack. I found that necessary
17 > and it worked for me.
20 > -- Keith Dart
24 This appears to be the opposite of a upgrade. He has a package that
25 wants the OLD slotted version of libpng not the NEW slotted version. If
26 I understand that correctly, he has already done the upgrade but now
27 something needs the old package installed in addition to the new one.
28
29 OP, my thinking is this. Be prepared for some packages to rebuild when
30 you run revdep-rebuild. Part of me says that there won't be any but one
31 can never be certain of these things. Also, when I did my upgrade I
32 had no GUI until it rebuilt the packages. Again, one can never be
33 certain of these things. I would do this:
34
35 emerge opera
36 run revdep-rebuild -i and say a prayer if you think it will help.
37 emerge -uvDNa world and hope it comes out clean, provided it was clean
38 before you started this.
39
40 Wouldn't hurt to have a second puter around to get help here if you run
41 into trouble. ;-)
42
43 Dale
44