From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: technical review of systemd
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:00:52
1 On Feb 25, 2014 10:40 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:38 AM, Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
4 wrote:
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 > > The way systemd services handle network whatever "network manager" you
9 > > enable is the last thing preventing me from using systemd on servers.
10 > > Seting up manual advanced setups on systemd looks crappy (if even
11 > > possible with the provided tools) compared to OpenRC.
12 > >
13 > > Notice that iproute2 is the default everywhere for long time, here.
14 > >
15 > > The OpenRC comprehensive configuration set for network management is
16 > > actually what I would expect in systemd.
17 >
18 > Perhaps they are starting small? I don't know; from what I've read,
19 > they want something small for simple cases, and if you need more you
20 > can use NetworkManager, connman, iproute2, or whatever.
21 >
22 > But then you had to configure it yourself.
23 >
24 > [snip]
25 >
26 > >> And, by the way, someone make me notice that netctl is an Arch'ism,
27 > >> and that the command-line front-end for networkd is actually
28 > >> networkctl.
29 > >
30 > > Yes, it was taken from Arch in order to allow better network support for
31 > > advanced configurations whitout requiring to write yet another tool.
32 >
33 > Nothing was taken from Arch, I believe. networkctl and netctl had
34 > nothing to do with each other.
35 >
36 > > The thing is that I would expect systemd to handle the whole thing on
37 > > its own (with the help of iproute2) so that services have nice
38 > > grain-level dependencies.
39 >
40 > If someone writes support for this and convinces the systemd
41 > maintainers that is a good idea, I think they would accept the
42 > patches.
43
44 BTW, here is an overview of networkd by its author:
45
46 https://coreos.com/blog/intro-to-systemd-networkd/
47
48 Regards.