From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] slow x
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:34:18
3 > My x is a bit slow. Lets say I have a minimized
4 > web browser with a page with pictures and text.
5 > If I maximize it, the drawing of the page and
6 > the widgets doesn't happen instantly, but it
7 > takes a moment.
8 > I tried ubuntu livecd, and this test was much
9 > faster, I didn't recognize any problem.
10 > dri is working, I tried playing openarena, so
11 > I think my x is configured correctly, maybe it's
12 > some kind of kernel or USE flag problem.
13 > Any of you experienced similap problem?
14 >
15 > Where should I put emerge --info output? Here or
16 > pastebin?
17
18 I'd prefer it here, but I doubt USE flags matter much.
19
20 > I have a radeon 7500 , 512MB of RAM, 1,5GHz AMD
21 > and fluxbox, 1.6.5-r1 x server.
22
23 Which drivers do you use, ati-drivers / fglrx or xf86-video-ati / radeon?
24 Is the 3D performance okay?
25
26 Daniel Troeder just wrote in the 'ATI RV710/730' thread:
27
28 ATI: 3D is very good - a must for gaming, 2D is SLOW! (thou they did
29 something about that with 10.6 - experience differs for users - its
30 said that window management is fast now, but video still has tearing
31 effect [also my exp.])
32 Latest driver (10.6) work with xorg-server-1.7.x only and kernel module
33 has problems with >=2.6.34 (exp. differ).
34
35 Xorg: 3D is basic and very slow but works (the newer the driver/server
36 the better, development is VERY fast), 2D is a dream (very fast, no
37 tearing with video)!
38 Driver is released with Xorg - so work always with newest Xorg, kernel
39 module is in-kernel - work always with newest kernel :) Driver supports
40 both KMS and user space MS.
41
42 I only use the ati-drivers, and 2D does not seem slow to me, but I cannot
43 compare with the radeon driver, because the dammn thing never worked for
44 me.
45
46 Wonko