From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often -uD world?
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:07:35
1 On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:54:57 -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:
2
3 > > As mentioned yesterday, I now do all emerges in a chroot on my
4 > > desktop to build binary packages, then emerge -k on the Eee, so Ooo
5 > > only takes 90 minutes now. The only compiling I do on the Eee is
6 > > kernel changes.
7 >
8 > I've decided to give your method a whirl. Are you talking about distcc
9 > here? That would require a gcc upgrade on the desktop to match the
10 > Eee's, no?
11 >
12 > Can you cite a howto or tutorial for your method? Or, perhaps flesh it
13 > out with a few more details.
14
15 I did in another post, probably the "mentioned yesterday" one. I'm not
16 talking about distcc, although it does use that also. I have a copy of my
17 Eee in a directory on my desktop that I chroot into in the same way that
18 you do for installation. FEATURES includes buildpkg and $PKGDIR is an
19 NFS share accessed by bother. Then I just do emerge -u @world in the
20 chroot followed by emerge -uK @world on the Eee.
21
22 There's a little more to it than that, I also sync /etc/portage
23 and /var/lib/world* from the Eee to the chroot in the script that starts
24 up the chroot.
25
26 ----------
27 #!/bin/sh
28
29 rsync -a --delete krikkit:/etc/portage/ /mnt/eee/etc/portage/
30 rsync -a --delete krikkit:/var/lib/portage/world\* /mnt/eee/var/lib/portage/
31
32 mount -t proc none /mnt/eee/proc
33 mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/eee/dev
34 mount --bind /usr/portage /mnt/eee/usr/portage
35 mount --bind /mnt/portage /mnt/eee/mnt/portage
36 mount --bind /var/tmp/eee /mnt/eee/var/tmp
37
38 sudo su - -c "chroot /mnt/eee /bin/zsh"
39
40 sudo umount /mnt/eee/dev
41 sudo umount /mnt/eee/proc
42 sudo umount /mnt/eee/usr/portage
43 sudo umount /mnt/eee/mnt/portage
44 sudo umount /mnt/eee/var/tmp
46
47 /mnt/portage is the NFS share containing $DISTDIR and $PKGDIR.
51 Neil Bothwick
52
53 Feature : BUG with seniority.