From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About dig command and others
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:24:16
1 On Monday 25 September 2006 22:37, Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] About dig command and others':
3 > > Is there another method to check/verify my suspicion. TIA
4
5 Based on the original post, it sounds to me like your ISP is (intentionally
6 or not) blocking that site. There's very little (probably nothing) you
7 could do to prove they are doing it intentionally. What you've already
8 done (tried via other ISPs and a proxy service) already proves the site is
9 blocked (although, I suppose it could be the site blocking your ISP and
10 not vice-versa).
11
12 > I can't recall which of the following commands is correct ?
13
14 Neither, dig doesn't take URLs.
15
16 You are probably wanting something like:
17 dig google.com
18 * Looks up the address for google.com using the nameserver listed
19 in /etc/resolv.conf
20
21 or:
22 dig @151.164.1.1 google.com
23 * Looks up the address for google.com using 151.154.1.1 (ns1.swbell.net)
24
25 You should be able to compare how various DNS servers resolve the address
26 you are trying to browse using varations of those two commands. However,
27 dig is capable of much more, so you might want to read the dig manpage
28 displayed by:
29 man dig
30
31 Also, keep in mind that your ISP could resolve the domain's ip address
32 properly and still block the site.
35 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
36 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
37 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
38 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh