From: "Matt Connell (Gmail)" <matthewdconnell@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Prefer Gentoo repository rather than overlay?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 19:09:33
1 Looking for some guidance in managing the source of package
2 installs/upgrades when a package is provided by both the standard
3 repository and an overlay.
4
5 I currently have the poly-c overlay added via layman. poly-c provides
6 many of the same packages as the standard gentoo repository.
7
8 When I install/update packages, portage appears to prefer the version
9 provided by poly-c rather than the version provided by the gentoo
10 repository, if the two provide the same version number of the package.
11 Examples of this include sys-boot/grub, sys-fs/udev, and other critical
12 packages.
13
14 I would prefer that portage prioritize gentoo's version rather than the
15 overlay's version, unless specified otherwise (eg.
16 sys-boot/grub::poly-c) when installing.
17
18 What's the best way to go about doing this? I could specify ::gentoo
19 for each entry in my world file, but this seems rather heavy-handed and
20 high maintenance. Is there a better way?