From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Prefer Gentoo repository rather than overlay?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 19:35:33
1 On Thursday, April 23, 2020 11:09 PM, Matt Connell (Gmail) <matthewdconnell@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Looking for some guidance in managing the source of package
4 > installs/upgrades when a package is provided by both the standard
5 > repository and an overlay.
6 >
7 > I currently have the poly-c overlay added via layman. poly-c provides
8 > many of the same packages as the standard gentoo repository.
9 >
10 > When I install/update packages, portage appears to prefer the version
11 > provided by poly-c rather than the version provided by the gentoo
12 > repository, if the two provide the same version number of the package.
13 > Examples of this include sys-boot/grub, sys-fs/udev, and other critical
14 > packages.
15 >
16 > I would prefer that portage prioritize gentoo's version rather than the
17 > overlay's version, unless specified otherwise (eg.
18 > sys-boot/grub::poly-c) when installing.
19 >
20 > What's the best way to go about doing this? I could specify ::gentoo
21 > for each entry in my world file, but this seems rather heavy-handed and
22 > high maintenance. Is there a better way?
25 **warning** i'm dumb.
26
27 didn't try it, but i guess you'll get the effect
28 you want by:
29
30 * setting priority of your layman repo below -1000.
31 * setting priority of the gentoo repo above
32 50 (i think default for layman).
33
34 more info:
35 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ebuild_repository#Priorities