From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Prefer Gentoo repository rather than overlay?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 19:39:51
1 On 23 April 2020 21:35:22 CEST, Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 >On Thursday, April 23, 2020 11:09 PM, Matt Connell (Gmail)
4 ><matthewdconnell@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Looking for some guidance in managing the source of package
7 >> installs/upgrades when a package is provided by both the standard
8 >> repository and an overlay.
9 >>
10 >> I currently have the poly-c overlay added via layman. poly-c provides
11 >> many of the same packages as the standard gentoo repository.
12 >>
13 >> When I install/update packages, portage appears to prefer the version
14 >> provided by poly-c rather than the version provided by the gentoo
15 >> repository, if the two provide the same version number of the
16 >package.
17 >> Examples of this include sys-boot/grub, sys-fs/udev, and other
18 >critical
19 >> packages.
20 >>
21 >> I would prefer that portage prioritize gentoo's version rather than
22 >the
23 >> overlay's version, unless specified otherwise (eg.
24 >> sys-boot/grub::poly-c) when installing.
25 >>
26 >> What's the best way to go about doing this? I could specify ::gentoo
27 >> for each entry in my world file, but this seems rather heavy-handed
28 >and
29 >> high maintenance. Is there a better way?
32 >**warning** i'm dumb.
33 >
34 >didn't try it, but i guess you'll get the effect
35 >you want by:
36 >
37 > * setting priority of your layman repo below -1000.
38 > * setting priority of the gentoo repo above
39 > 50 (i think default for layman).
40 >
41 >more info:
42 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ebuild_repository#Priorities
43
44 I got this working by only setting the priority of the gentoo repo to 999.
47 Joost
48 --
49 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.