From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 19:22:42
1 On 30/08/2013 17:18, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 30 2013, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >> gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
5 >>> I want to reinstall an old system to have combined root+usr.
6 >>>
7 >>> I have always used an lvm installation guide that was a "companion" to
8 >>> the handbook. That is it would tell you how to augment each handbook
9 >>> installation chapter for lvm (actually lvm2).
10 >>>
11 >>> I can't find this documentation now on gentoo.org. There is a big wiki
12 >>> page, but that is different as are daniel's 2-volume "learning linux
13 >>> lvm".
14 >>>
15 >>> The closest I found is the raid+lvm quick install guide, but i would be
16 >>> happier with the one I have used often in the past.
17 >>>
18 >>> Any clues (I am emotionally prepared to learn that it is right there on
19 >>> the installation web page, but my eyes and search commands are
20 >>> deficient).
21 >>>
22 >>> thanks,
23 >>> allan
24 >>
25 >> Allan,
26 >>
27 >> Use the raid+LVM guide and skip all the raid steps.
28 >>
29 >> --
30 >> Joost
31 >
32 > Yes, that is what I will be doing; but it is not the same as the "companion"
33 > and hence less familiar to me. Also the wiki certainly does help.
34 > I haven't studied the raid+LVM closely yet but a quick look didn't
35 > reveal how to interrupt the installation, shut off the machine, and
36 > continue later.
37
38 the only difference is activating your LVs just before you need to mount
39 them (before doing the chroot):
40
41 vgchange -a y
42
43 everything else stays the same. Instead of mounting /dev/sdxy at
44 /mnt/gentoo/..., you will mount /dev/mapper/${LV}
48 > Nonetheless, it is doubtless all there; just a loss of familiarity.
49 >
50 > thanks,
51 > allan
56 Alan McKinnon