From: Daniel Faulknor <daniel@×××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Agetty
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:12:19
1 On 10/24/05, Glenn Enright <elinar@×××××××.nz> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:27, Daniel Faulknor wrote:
4 > > Hi everyone
5 > > After my kernel loads i get the message
6 > > INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
7 > > INIT: Id "c2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
8 > > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
9 > >
10 > > Then the computer just stops - HELP!
11 > >
12 > > Thanks
13 > > Daniel Faulknor
14 > > --
15 > > www.nzguydaniel.blogspot.com <http://www.nzguydaniel.blogspot.com> <
16 > http://www.nzguydaniel.blogspot.com>
17 >
18 > you are missing the agetty application that is described in your
19 > /etc/inittab
20 > file. agetty belongs to sys-apps/util-linux, which you could reemerge by
21 > using your livecd and doing the chroot thing like when you installed.
22 > either
23 > that or you are playing with a new kernel, and forgot to compile support
24 > for
25 > the filesystem which /sbin is on.
26 >
27 > Consider that init calls inittab as soon as the kernel is up, so if it
28 > stops,
29 > you will probably only see a few lines from the kernel on screen and not
30 > much
31 > else... is this what you are experiencing?
32 > --
33 >
34 > furbling, v.:
35 > Having to wander through a maze of ropes at an airport or bank
36 > even when you are the only person in line.
37 > -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"
38 > --
39 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
42 I emerged it but it didnt help - i just restarted the computer and it didnt
43 work - i hadnt done anything to it. It used to work
46 www.nzguydaniel.blogspot.com <http://www.nzguydaniel.blogspot.com>