From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 23:19:44
1 Hello,
2
3 On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Dale wrote:
4 >David Haller wrote:
5 >> On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Dale wrote:
6 >>> The key thing, remembering to force it to be added to world, which is a
7 >>> lot easier than remembering to use -1 for ALL those things I don't want
8 >>> in the world file.  Before I added the -1 option, my world file was full
9 >>> of all sorts of things that have no business being there at all.  It was
10 >>> causing huge problems with upgrades and such.
11 >> Hm.
12 >>
13 >> # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
14 >> 1140 /var/lib/portage/world
15 >>
16 >> Am I doing something wrong? Looking it over, it looks right though.
17 >> And --depclean is hopelessly overeager here.
18 >>
19 >> ====
20 >> Packages installed: 3511
21 >> Packages in world: 1140
22 >> Packages in system: 43
23 >> Required packages: 2581
24 >> Number to remove: 930
25 >> ====
26 [..]
27 >I have KDE installed here plus other desktops as well.  While I use some
28 >meta packages, I do some on their own as needed.  I have a lot of things
29 >installed since I have a digital camera, burn CD/DVDs and all sorts of
30 >other weird things.  Here is mine.
31 >
32 >root@fireball / # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
33 >201 /var/lib/portage/world
34 >root@fireball / #
35
36 That's not much ;)
37
38 [..]
39 >There is a command that may help with this.  I've never used it and
40 >would strongly recommend backing up your world file first.  There is no
41 >help or options for it that show up here.
42 >
43 >regenworld
44
45 Ah, thanks, didn't know that one.
46
47 >Either way, doing it manually or using that command, you should end up
48 >with a clean world file after some effort.  I would guess that updates
49 >would be much easier.  Most of mine work first time with no problems.
50 >Any failures are usually from the build itself.
51
52 I guess I just have too many little stuff in @world. E.g. I explicitly
53 want the x265 commandline tool, so I have media-libs/x265 in @world.
54 Same goes for e.g. ffmpeg (for /usr/bin/ffmpeg), etc. pp. Or just
55 this:
56
57 # grep -c app-arch/ /var/lib/portage/world
58 42 (sic! ;)
59
60 Lots of app-{x,}emacs/, app-shells/, app-portage/, app-text/,
61 games-*/, media-*/...
62
63 I'm reather overeager emerging with -1 :) Hah! Got one: --depclean
64 suggested dev-haskell/x509-validation. Ok, removed it and it is still
65 used. Ok, let's see if rebuilding depending stuff
66 (dev-haskell/connection and dev-haskell/tls) helps:
67
68 Doesn't seem like it:
69
70 * ghc-pkg check: 'checking for other broken packages:'
71 There are problems in package connection-0.2.5:
72 dependency "x509-validation-1.6.5-9d1Itw2kfW6JXBlF0ahQsB" doesn't exist
73 There are problems in package tls-1.3.9:
74 dependency "x509-validation-1.6.5-9d1Itw2kfW6JXBlF0ahQsB" doesn't exist
75 [..]
76 >>> Failed to emerge dev-haskell/connection-0.2.5,
77
78 So, remerging dev-haskell/x509-validation. That's one example of the
79 "overeager" --depclean... (and no, neither dev-haskell/connection
80 dev-haskell/tls has the "profile"-USE-flags set, but it seems the
81 build does actually need it).
82
83 Whoa, --depclean wants to remove a bunch of eselects too, e.g.
84 app-eselect/eselect-package-manager and app-eselect/eselect-pdftex.
85 Ok, I don't have texlive-core in world, but it is pulled in by various
86 other stuff...
87
88 Oh well, I'll have to check what depclean's doing wrong better.
89
90 -dnh
93 What got my attention one time, however, was the list that included
94 both "chicken" and "chicken meat" as distinct ingredients.
95 -- Kenneth Brody