From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 04:03:33
1 David Haller wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Dale wrote:
5 >> The key thing, remembering to force it to be added to world, which is a
6 >> lot easier than remembering to use -1 for ALL those things I don't want
7 >> in the world file.  Before I added the -1 option, my world file was full
8 >> of all sorts of things that have no business being there at all.  It was
9 >> causing huge problems with upgrades and such.
10 > Hm.
11 >
12 > # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
13 > 1140 /var/lib/portage/world
14 >
15 > Am I doing something wrong? Looking it over, it looks right though.
16 > And --depclean is hopelessly overeager here.
17 >
18 > ====
19 > Packages installed: 3511
20 > Packages in world: 1140
21 > Packages in system: 43
22 > Required packages: 2581
23 > Number to remove: 930
24 > ====
25 >
26 > Hm. I guess there's stuff missing from world (linux-gazette*?) or
27 > something's broke. I guess I should quickpkg stuff, run a depclean and
28 > go figure what's missing ;) adding to world/pruning whatever ;) I know
29 > a lot of those "depcleaned" pkgs are wanted/needed, so I missed adding
30 > stuff to world or deps are lacking... Oh well. Not while I'm cleaning
31 > up after the profile-13/gcc-5.4 -> profile-17/gcc-7.2 stuff (I'd
32 > already compiled most with gcc 6.4, with "std=c++14" for C++ stuff. So
33 > not much change there besides pie/no-pie.
34 >
35 > -dnh
38 I have KDE installed here plus other desktops as well.  While I use some
39 meta packages, I do some on their own as needed.  I have a lot of things
40 installed since I have a digital camera, burn CD/DVDs and all sorts of
41 other weird things.  Here is mine.
42
43 root@fireball / # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
44 201 /var/lib/portage/world
45 root@fireball / #
46
47 The way I've done in the past and read others have done as well, make a
48 backup copy of world, go through the world file and remove anything you
49 didn't install directly for your use.  If you see anything that is a lib
50 package, odds are you don't need that in the world file because whatever
51 needs it will pull it in as a dependency.  What you can do, remove say
52 ten entries that you didn't install yourself directly, you can just put
53 a # in front to comment out that entry as well, then run --depclean -a
54 to see what it shows.  If you see something you use listed, add that to
55 the world file to keep it.  If not, then let it remove them.  Keep doing
56 that with whatever number you are comfy with until you get a clean world
57 file.  This could take a while.  The biggest thing, don't let it remove
58 any system packages.  It shouldn't but depending on what your system
59 requires, it could.  If in doubt, use eix to see what the package is.
60
61 Also, it is rare that I install anything with a specific version.  I
62 actually found one listed in my world file and removed it.  No idea how
63 or why it was there.  The only exception to that, kernels.  Some of
64 those are done by version.  If you see a entry with a version, may want
65 to try to recall why because it could make that version stick and not
66 upgrade.  It's been a while since I did that.
67
68 There is a command that may help with this.  I've never used it and
69 would strongly recommend backing up your world file first.  There is no
70 help or options for it that show up here.
71
72 regenworld
73
74 Either way, doing it manually or using that command, you should end up
75 with a clean world file after some effort.  I would guess that updates
76 would be much easier.  Most of mine work first time with no problems.
77 Any failures are usually from the build itself.
78
79 Hope that helps.
80
81 Dale