From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] palemoon and pdfs
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 17:53:48
1 On 3/3/20 5:00 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 11:16:21AM -0500, james wrote
3 >> team-gentoo-user,
4 >>
5 >> Palemoon, Installed versions: 28.8.4, is great!
6 >>
7 >> But, no matter what I try, I cannot view 'pdf' files in
8 >> palemoon. Is there a page that explains how to get pdf
9 >> viewing working on ver 28.8.4?
12 >> https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-pdf-viewer/
15 > You're better off invoking an external app (long story).
16
17 Yep; after some extensive reading and further testing, I would agree.
18 Hopefully, palemoon comes out with the ability to handle pdfs, security
19 issues included, in a more recent version.....
22 >> Or a workaround like popping up another app so I can read the pdf, which
23 >> are common, from whatever source?
24 >> ANY hack would be OK....
25 >
26 > Another Pale Moon user here. I use app-text/mupdf which is a
27 > minimalist viewer. The controls are a bit wierd. To copy text hold
28 > down the {CTRL} key and simultaneously drag the *RIGHT* mouse key to
29 > extend-select a rectangle. "+" and "-" control the zoom and {SHIFT}{H}
30 > expands/decreases to properly fit the window. Searching is like "less".
31 > "/" searches forward (not case-sensitive) and "n" finds next occurence.
32 > See the man page for more goodies.
33
34 Yes, I'm testing out mupdf, as it is a bit 'quirky'.
35 Hey, thanks for the tip, as I'll try something similar, but it's easier
36 on my old brain, if I 'autosort/file' pdf's logically under a file-tree
37 where a variety of different files all mostly at the bottom of a
38 tree-branch..... are concentric on subject/content. My database 'fu' is
39 not current with all of the latest/cool database tools.....
42 I'll experiment and see if I cannot find a secure solution, that makes
43 reading and auto-filing copies of PDFs consistent and easy to recall,
44 (logically) sort and filter. But I'd duplicate all the pdfs into one
45 dir/branch as a worst case I can apply search-filters on a single,
46 massive dir/branch.
49 As an engineer, too active, I receive tons of good files/data so, I'm to
50 the point of some advance sorting/filing/labeling/searchable solutions
51 for a large amount of excellent data/files. Perhaps there is a project
52 already 'auto-sorting' and such, that I have missed? One of the newer
53 database technologies?
57 > In my case, it saves a copy of the pdf file in /tmp/mozilla_waltdnes0/
58 > (*YES* with Pale Moon).
61 This would require, (logically) renaming the pdf's as I do get a myriad
62 of files and email, quite a lot I permanently retain...
63
64 Here is a master listing of tools; most are available for gentoo:
65
66 https://www.tecmint.com/linux-pdf-viewers-and-readers-tools/
69 Thanks Walt,
70 James