From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VMWare?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:44:56
1 On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:46:20 -0300, Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales
2 wrote:
3
4 > I agree with John. It is better to have a robust system (Gentoo) and
5 > run the bad one (Windows) on user space (via VMWare) so it can't do
6 > much damage.
7
8 That's how I do it and it works well. I very rarely use VMWare for
9 Windows, mainly for testing on different Linux distros. It runs virtually
10 as fast as native hardware, apart from a slight reduction in disk speed
11 from the virtual disks.
12
13 VMWare 5 is very nice, and runs much better on amd64 than the 4.x series.
14
15 > As for comments on VMWare, it isn't free software and you need a
16 > licence key. Some purists don't like the fact that it isn't free.
17
18 That's hardly an issue if he's going to run Windows with it :-O
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 A friend of mine sent me a postcard with a satellite photo of the
25 entire planet on it, and on the back he wrote, "Wish you were here."