From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Multilib help
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 18:14:36
1 On 2018-07-04 02:06, Andrew Udvare wrote:
2
3 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:AMD64/32-bit_Chroot_Guide
4 >
5 > If most of your apps are 32-bit then you are almost better off running
6 > a native 32-bit system, especially for games.
7 >
8 > You can also use the chroot for building, but then copy the libraries
9 > you need (and only the ones you need) to a path outside of the
10 > chroot. Then you can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to that path and run the
11 > binary. This will work for most apps including games. I prefer this
12 > way because then I don't have to remember to set up the chroot, nor do
13 > I have to do anything as root once this is set up. This is how I ran
14 > PCSX2 prior to it running natively on x86-64.
15 >
16 > Otherwise, if graphics performance is not an issue, use a 32-bit Linux
17 > within a VM.
18
19 But if this is so, what is the purpose of multilib, anyway? Besides
20 making portage more complex and thus cooler :-P
23 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
24 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
25 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
26 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.