From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow SSD
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 03:29:28
1 On 22/05/19 22:44, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I just put an SSD into my hp dl585g7. I used the provided sata SSD drive connector, it's on the same sata driver that runs the optical drive. It's terribly slow to boot etc. Is this just a slow controller designed to keep up with an optical drive and swamped by an SSD? would pulling the optical drive help?
3
4 If this were PATA I'd say definitely. But SATA was supposed to fix this.
5 Try it anyway is my guess.
6
7 > I may wind up hooking it to the internal SAS controller with a suitable cable (there are 2 cables to the plugable hard drive area, i could swap one for another cable as I'm only using 2 hard drives. I'd just need to extend the power from the built in ssd connector. Advice? Suggestions?? At this point it's slow to boot like a thumb drive on USB 2 or an optical drive. I have an identical SSD in my desktop and it runs near the rated 500MB/s so I'm confident the SSD is good.
8 >
9 Your other SSD is good? Doesn't mean this one isn't faulty.
10 >
11 > "We the People Dare to Create a More Perfect Union" <aclu.org>
12
13 Cheers,
14 Wol