From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious syslog message "."
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:29:20
1 On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 00:05 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 02 February 2010 04:06:14 Iain Buchanan wrote:
3
4 > > The 50k of messages all look like this:
5
6 > That's definitely not right. Even with full debugging enabled no app should
7 > emit that amount of logs.
8
9 and yet with debugging disabled, there's no cpu usage, so perhaps
10 there's just a problem with my syslog-ng rules?
11
12 > Seeing as we are dealing with networkmanager with it's long history of being
13 > hard to deal with, I recommend you
14 >
15 > a. recognize the truth - that it is a piece of shit
16
17 I appreciate the humour, but so far for me, it's Just Worked(TM). Even
18 with this log file annoyance, it's still "working".
19
20 > b. use wicd instead, which is decidedly not a piece of shit
21
22 I had a look at that, but it doesn't do 2 things that I use
23 NetworkManager for:
24 1. mobile broadband (essential for on the road)
25 2. NetworkManager sends dbus messages that evolution uses to toggle
26 its online / offline state. I was sick of forever waiting for
27 evolution to time out because I'd gone offline. (Granted, you
28 may think evolution is another POS, but it does certain things
29 that no other mail client can do, but that's another story)
30
31 I found a post that suggested in fact iwlagn wasn't reloading properly
32 after a suspend, so I've added "UnloadModules iwlagn"
33 to /etc/hibernate/common.conf and so far I haven't seen the spurious log
34 messages (cross my fingers).
35
36 > :-)
37
38 thanks,
39 --
40 Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp dot com dot au>
41
42 This is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. And now you know why.