From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious syslog message "."
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:00:25
1 On Wednesday 03 February 2010 01:27:19 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 00:05 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 02 February 2010 04:06:14 Iain Buchanan wrote:
4 > > > The 50k of messages all look like this:
5 > >
6 > > That's definitely not right. Even with full debugging enabled no app
7 > > should emit that amount of logs.
8 >
9 > and yet with debugging disabled, there's no cpu usage, so perhaps
10 > there's just a problem with my syslog-ng rules?
11 >
12 > > Seeing as we are dealing with networkmanager with it's long history of
13 > > being hard to deal with, I recommend you
14 > >
15 > > a. recognize the truth - that it is a piece of shit
16 >
17 > I appreciate the humour, but so far for me, it's Just Worked(TM). Even
18 > with this log file annoyance, it's still "working".
19
20 You're the lucky one :-)
21
22 nm seems to work OK on the RedHats and SuSEs of this world, I've not seen many
23 folk get it work smoothly on Gentoo
24
25 > > b. use wicd instead, which is decidedly not a piece of shit
26 >
27 > I had a look at that, but it doesn't do 2 things that I use
28 > NetworkManager for:
29
30 In that case, you could retain NetworkManager and tweak your syslogger to
31 discard the logs. You'd have to be specific in your MATCH otherwise you might
32 toss too many false positives, but we already know you ignore those messages
33 anyway
34 .
35 > 1. mobile broadband (essential for on the road)
36 > 2. NetworkManager sends dbus messages that evolution uses to toggle
37 > its online / offline state. I was sick of forever waiting for
38 > evolution to time out because I'd gone offline. (Granted, you
39 > may think evolution is another POS, but it does certain things
40 > that no other mail client can do, but that's another story)
41 >
42 > I found a post that suggested in fact iwlagn wasn't reloading properly
43 > after a suspend, so I've added "UnloadModules iwlagn"
44 > to /etc/hibernate/common.conf and so far I haven't seen the spurious log
45 > messages (cross my fingers).
46
47 Unfortunately, that sounds all too realistic. I gave up trying to use suspend
48 some time ago after battling with wirelss and graphics hardware that wouldn't
49 suspend/resume reliably. But with 4G of RAM here, I find it doesn't take much
50 longer to power down/cold start than suspend/resume
51 --
52 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com