From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious syslog message "."
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 01:28:29
1 On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 18:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 03 February 2010 01:27:19 Iain Buchanan wrote:
3
4 > > I appreciate the humour, but so far for me, it's Just Worked(TM). Even
5 > > with this log file annoyance, it's still "working".
6 >
7 > You're the lucky one :-)
8 >
9 > nm seems to work OK on the RedHats and SuSEs of this world, I've not seen many
10 > folk get it work smoothly on Gentoo
11
12 Wow, I must remember to buy a lottery ticket on the way home :)
13 Seriously, it was just emerge and go!
14
15 > > I found a post that suggested in fact iwlagn wasn't reloading properly
16 > > after a suspend, so I've added "UnloadModules iwlagn"
17 > > to /etc/hibernate/common.conf and so far I haven't seen the spurious log
18 > > messages (cross my fingers).
19 >
20 > Unfortunately, that sounds all too realistic. I gave up trying to use suspend
21 > some time ago after battling with wirelss and graphics hardware that wouldn't
22 > suspend/resume reliably. But with 4G of RAM here, I find it doesn't take much
23 > longer to power down/cold start than suspend/resume
24
25 really? 4G RAM, Core 2 Duo T9500 @ 2.60GHz here, and hibernate is much
26 faster. Do you have an SSD? Resuming with gnome, compiz, firefox, etc.
27 already loaded is supremely better than my boot up AND log-in time
28 otherwise.
33 "Pets are always a great help in times of stress. And in times of
34 starvation too, o'course."
35 -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)