From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Share /home with Gentoo and Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:03:20
1 On 11/27/2012 12:34 PM, Randy Westlund wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm a new gentoo user (coming from ubuntu). I've been proving to
5 > myself that I can do everything I need with gentoo on a secondary
6 > laptop, and after a few weeks, I think I've got it (svn repos, AVR
7 > cross compiler, multiple screens, etc). I much prefer gentoo to
8 > ubuntu, and would like to put it on my primary laptop. But I think I
9 > should leave an ubuntu installation on there just in case. I'd like
10 > to have gentoo, ubunu, and win7 alongside each other.
11 >
12 > How feasible would it be to have gentoo and ubuntu share a /home
13 > partition? I've never had a reason to have multiple linux
14 > installations on a single machine before, but I can't think of a
15 > reason why this wouldn't work. .bashrc might need a few more lines of
16 > code. .screenrc and .exrc would be fine. My ssh keys can be shared.
17 > What would happen to .mozilla if ubuntu and gentoo are running
18 > different versions of firefox? What other issues might I run into?
19 >
20 > Alternatively, is there a way to keep gentoo's and ubuntu's hidden
21 > files separate and link or map them to ~ at boot?
22
23 You might have problems when Gentoo upgrades a package and Ubuntu falls
24 behind. For a made-up example, suppose Gentoo bumps XFCE to 4.12 and
25 Ubuntu is still at 4.10. XFCE will upgrade all of its config files in
26 ~/.config, and the next time you boot to Ubuntu, things will probably crash.
27
28 I've had the same problem from time to time on a smaller scale with LyX,
29 GTK, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.
30
31 You can work around it fairly easily, though. Just mount all of your
32 version-independent stuff separately, under ~/Documents or whatever. Or
33 never go back to Ubuntu =)