From: German <gentgerman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screen: Cannot open your terminal '/dev/tty1' - please check [Update]
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 23:13:00
1 On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 00:00:34 +0100
2 <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 15:16:28 -0400, German wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > after searching, I found the following solution to chmod tty1, like
9 > > > so: chmod o+rw /dev/tty1 and this worked, I was able to use screen
10 > > > as a user, however it doesn't stay permanently; after reboot, I got
11 > > > the same problem. How to chmod tty1 so changes stay permenently?
12 > > > Thanks
13 > >
14 > > /dev/tty1 is already group writeable, so you should get the same
15 > > result by adding your user to the tty group.
16 >
17 > When I logged in as regular user then ownership of the tty that I
18 > used for log in is:
19 >
20 > crw------- 1 wabe tty 4, 1 13. Mär 17:49 /dev/tty1
21 >
22 > When I logged in as root, then owner is root (not surprising).
23 >
24 > crw------- 1 root tty 4, 2 13. Mär 23:47 /dev/tty2
25 >
26 > Adding your user to group tty probably wouldn't resolve your problem
27 > (not tested), because group doesn't have any rights.
28
29 Yes, it didn't resolve my problem. The only solution for now is to run "script /dev/null".
30 Then I can run screen as a user. People are having the same problem all over the net.
31 >
32 > So it seems that after login you first have to chmod 770 the tty before
33 > you do a su - user (user have to be in group tty of course).
34 >
35 > Maybe it would ease things when you write a little script for this
36 > procedure.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Regards