From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screen: Cannot open your terminal '/dev/tty1' - please check [Update]
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 23:01:29
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 15:16:28 -0400, German wrote:
4 >
5 > > after searching, I found the following solution to chmod tty1, like
6 > > so: chmod o+rw /dev/tty1 and this worked, I was able to use screen
7 > > as a user, however it doesn't stay permanently; after reboot, I got
8 > > the same problem. How to chmod tty1 so changes stay permenently?
9 > > Thanks
10 >
11 > /dev/tty1 is already group writeable, so you should get the same
12 > result by adding your user to the tty group.
13
14 When I logged in as regular user then ownership of the tty that I
15 used for log in is:
16
17 crw------- 1 wabe tty 4, 1 13. Mär 17:49 /dev/tty1
18
19 When I logged in as root, then owner is root (not surprising).
20
21 crw------- 1 root tty 4, 2 13. Mär 23:47 /dev/tty2
22
23 Adding your user to group tty probably wouldn't resolve your problem
24 (not tested), because group doesn't have any rights.
25
26 So it seems that after login you first have to chmod 770 the tty before
27 you do a su - user (user have to be in group tty of course).
28
29 Maybe it would ease things when you write a little script for this
30 procedure.
33 Regards
34 wabe