From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screen: Cannot open your terminal '/dev/tty1' - please check [Update]
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 00:17:03
1 <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 15:16:28 -0400, German wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > after searching, I found the following solution to chmod tty1,
8 > > > like so: chmod o+rw /dev/tty1 and this worked, I was able to use
9 > > > screen as a user, however it doesn't stay permanently; after
10 > > > reboot, I got the same problem. How to chmod tty1 so changes stay
11 > > > permenently? Thanks
12 > >
13 > > /dev/tty1 is already group writeable, so you should get the same
14 > > result by adding your user to the tty group.
15 >
16 > When I logged in as regular user then ownership of the tty that I
17 > used for log in is:
18 >
19 > crw------- 1 wabe tty 4, 1 13. Mär 17:49 /dev/tty1
20 >
21 > When I logged in as root, then owner is root (not surprising).
22 >
23 > crw------- 1 root tty 4, 2 13. Mär 23:47 /dev/tty2
24 >
25 > Adding your user to group tty probably wouldn't resolve your problem
26 > (not tested), because group doesn't have any rights.
27 >
28 > So it seems that after login you first have to chmod 770 the tty
29 > before you do a su - user (user have to be in group tty of course).
30
31 Forget about "chmod 770". Better do a "chmod g+rw". :-)
34 Regards
35 wabe