From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beagle vs. Panda vs. Raspberry on Gentoo
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:45:06
1 > > Which of these would be the best choice for Gentoo? I have a
2 > > Beaglebone but now I'm looking for something with video for HD
3 > > playback.
4 > >
5 > > - Grant
6 >
7 > I'd say none of them (yet).
8 >
9 > It doesn't matter what other features in the form of fancy IO and neat
10 > circuitry is put on such boards, they are all limited by what the CPU
11 > can do. If the board has a RealTek chip, it;s limited by what the
12 > RealTek dev software provides.
13 >
14 > I have a Raspberry Pi, and doing what it was designed to do is
15 > something it is very good at. It was designed to teach kids how to
16 > program. It was not designed to play full HD video.
17 >
18 > The Pi suffers with playback the very same way all the other ARM media
19 > players out there suffer, whether they be AC Ryan, Medi8ter, Xtreamer
20 > or whatever - as soon as you have to run some controlling software as
21 > well as the codec, and especially if you have to decode audio on the
22 > device (as opposed to having the amp do it in hardware), it stutters.
23 > The cpu just cannot cut it.
24
25 That's too bad. I thought the GPU on at least some of these boards was
26 capable of smooth 1080p playback. The Pandaboard ES claims "Full HD
27 (1080p) multi-standard video encode/decode" but I suppose that doesn't mean
28 it's stutter-free.
29
30 http://pandaboard.org/content/pandaboard-es
31