From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beagle vs. Panda vs. Raspberry on Gentoo
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:48:46
1 On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:43:38 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > > Which of these would be the best choice for Gentoo? I have a
5 > > > Beaglebone but now I'm looking for something with video for HD
6 > > > playback.
7 > > >
8 > > > - Grant
9 > >
10 > > I'd say none of them (yet).
11 > >
12 > > It doesn't matter what other features in the form of fancy IO and
13 > > neat circuitry is put on such boards, they are all limited by what
14 > > the CPU can do. If the board has a RealTek chip, it;s limited by
15 > > what the RealTek dev software provides.
16 > >
17 > > I have a Raspberry Pi, and doing what it was designed to do is
18 > > something it is very good at. It was designed to teach kids how to
19 > > program. It was not designed to play full HD video.
20 > >
21 > > The Pi suffers with playback the very same way all the other ARM
22 > > media players out there suffer, whether they be AC Ryan, Medi8ter,
23 > > Xtreamer or whatever - as soon as you have to run some controlling
24 > > software as well as the codec, and especially if you have to decode
25 > > audio on the device (as opposed to having the amp do it in
26 > > hardware), it stutters. The cpu just cannot cut it.
27 >
28 > That's too bad. I thought the GPU on at least some of these boards
29 > was capable of smooth 1080p playback. The Pandaboard ES claims "Full
30 > HD (1080p) multi-standard video encode/decode" but I suppose that
31 > doesn't mean it's stutter-free.
32 >
33 > http://pandaboard.org/content/pandaboard-es
34 >
35 > - Grant
36
37 I had the same disappointment. I suppose 1080p is a rather variable
38 quantity - a konsole in 1080p is not exactly the same thing in terms of
39 computing requirement as Transformers3 :-)
40
41 But what the heck, get yourself a Pi anyway and run OpenElec on it.
42 Improvements are constantly being made to the code, you might find it's
43 acceptable for your needs. And besides, it's always a thrill getting
44 that tiny little pcb running something useful.
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com