From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading slotted KDE
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:49:02
1 From: Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading slotted KDE
3 Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:06:46 +0200
4
5 > On Saturday 17 June 2006 18:47, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
6 > > ....in this (lucky) case I would have another question:
7 > > Can I "switch" between both slots, or how is this handled ?
8 >
9 > Please keep your replies on list only, i.e. don't include me in the To field.
10
11 Oooops....sorry...that was not intended....
12
13 > When you install two versions into separate slots they are simply installed in
14 > different places on the hard drive. Assuming you are speaking of KDE 3.4 and
15 > 3.5, 3.4 is installed to /usr/kde/3.4 and 3.5 is installed to /usr/kde/3.5.
16 > If you are using kdm to log in to KDE you can simply choose either KDE 3.4 or
17 > 3.5 each time you log in. It's as simple as that. If that doesn't answer your
18 > question then please have a look at [1]. And if you are still confused then
19 > please rephrase your question.
20 >
21 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml
22 >
23 > --
24 > Bo Andresen
25
26 Hi Bo,
27
28 AH! Enlightment! Now! :O)
29 That answers a lot and de-confuses me totally ;)
30
31 I thought in levels of the complexity of upgrading glibc, gcc or such
32 things (that's why my initial question...), but with using simply two
33 different paths all that is really harmless! :)
34
35 Thanks a lot for your help! :)
36 Have a nice weekend,
37 mcc