From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] going from systemd to udev
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 22:30:05
1 On Tue, Feb 04 2014, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2
3 > On 02/04/2014 01:58 PM, Joseph wrote:
4 >> Is it possible to go from "systemd" to "udev"?
5 >>
6 >> I don't like the way systemd works. I have a problem with mounting USB
7 >> sick (it mounts as root:root) and I can not even change the permission.
8 >> I am receiving Hylafax fax transmission reports (email) on all incoming
9 >> faxes and now these emails are empty.
10 >> It all start happening after switching to systemd :-(
13 > systemd and udev are part of the same project, so I believe what you
14 > meant was switching from systemd to OpenRC. I've not made such a switch,
15 > but if you remember the steps you took, you can generally just reverse
16 > them. That is, emerge openrc again, change the kernel line in GRUB to
17 > point to regular init instead of systemd's init, reboot, and things
18 > *should* fall into place.
19 >
20 > USB drives mounting as root sounds like a udev thing rather than a
21 > systemd thing, and switching to OpenRC for your init won't fix it afaik.
22 > For the devices that you need this behavior for, it might be worth
23 > looking into writing some udev rules. You can get a start by consulting
24 > `lsusb` output and Googling for 'udev rules' to get a wide variety of
25 > guides for writing udev rules. Despite the recent changes to udev by the
26 > systemd team, udev still functions mostly the same and most guides will
27 > be accurate.
28 >
29 > I hope this helps!
30 >
31 > ~Daniel
32
33 There are changes in USE. -systemd +consolekit
34 If you switched to a systemd profile, switch back.
35
36 The wiki for going from openRC --> systemd might be helpful
37 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
38
39 allan