From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:26:22
1 On 19/12/2016 11:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote :
3 >
4 >> On Sunday, December 18, 2016 03:11:58 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >>> Peter Humphrey peter@××××××××××××.uk>
6 >> wrote :
7 >>>> This morning I ran my usual daily update and was presented with a long
8 >>>> list of kde-app packages, including KMail-2. The only problem was four
9 >>>> blocks that portage couldn't sort out on its own, so I evicted the
10 >>>> existing versions with emerge -C and continued.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Then kleopatra failed to build, as in bug 602924. The fix there worked
13 >> (I
14 >>>> should call it an evasion really) and kleopatra built ok.
15 >>>
16 >>> I should have done some more checking before writing. The fix was to
17 >> emerge
18 >>> -C kde-apps/gpgmepp. I don't know whether you can do that before starting
19 >>> the upgrade, but it's worth a try. It might save a lot of work.
20 >>>
21 >>> At any rate, there's no sign of gpgmepp being pulled back in with the new
22 >>> 16.12.0 versions of kde-apps packages, now that the old versions have
23 >> gone.
24 >>
25 >> More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
26 >
27 > It isn't.
28 >
29 > I finished the emerge -e world, then @preserved-rebuild presented me with a whole lot of packages, resulting in the same appalling mess as before: incompatible versions being required of numerous packages. I've never had @preserved-rebuild follow an -e world before.
30 >
31 > I've reverted to a week-old system backup, but now when I invoke KMail I get a dialogue box saying "This will start the program kmail -qwindowtitle %c %u. If you do not trust this program, click Cancel". What? Of course I trust it, so I click Continue, and I get "Unable to make the service KMail executable, aborting execution"
32 >
33 > What could possible go wrong with a simple offline tarring of files to USB disk and back again? I know, I know...
34 >
35 > Has no-one else tried this upgrade?
39 Not KMail, it stopped using that since years ago.
40
41 But I do notice that a bucket load of new KDE-5 packages are hitting the
42 tree, and despite having SLOTS 4 and 5, some of those packages are
43 incompatible, such as audiocd-kio. I'm stuck on SLOT 4 for the time
44 being as amarok is still codes for KDE-4 libs (unless there's a 5
45 version in some overlay).
46
47 This is all ~arch, so we are the ones who get to file the bug reports.
48 I advise just work through the blockers till the latest batch of
49 versions settle down and are all done.
50
51 As for your executable problem, what are the owners/perms of the
52 relevant file?
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com